A common question for companies contemplating mergers or acquisitions is how the Hart-Scott-Rodino process works and how long it takes for different kinds of transactions to be reviewed and cleared. The FTC posted a helpful article here today which provides practitioners with guidance regarding timing parameters under the HSR Act, including a helpful HSR timeline graph which can be accessed here.
Jonathan's practice includes complex commercial and criminal litigation; counseling on consumer protection and privacy issues, including online privacy, data security and breaches, behavioral advertising, and sales and marketing; and advice on legislative and administrative matters before the federal government and the states. He has represented clients in state and federal courts and in investigations by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC), U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), congressional committees and State Attorneys General.
During law school, Jonathan worked as a Government Relations Advisor in the Government Relations and Public Policy Practice Group at the law firm of Collier Shannon Scott PLLC. He also served for a semester as a law clerk on the Senate Judiciary Committee for Chairman Patrick J. Leahy.
Some of Jonathan's representative engagements include the following:
- Representing Microsoft in an International Trade Commission proceeding against Barnes & Noble’s assertion of a "patent misuse" defense based on Microsoft's patent licensing to Android device OEMs and ODMs.
- Representing Whole Foods Market as a member of a multi-disciplinary team that launched a media/litigation/political strategy to achieve a favorable settlement with the FTC in a post-consummation challenge to the Whole Foods Market-Wild Oats merger.
- Representing a major sports and entertainment company in a post-consummation merger investigation brought by the FTC.
- Representing two individuals in litigation filed by the FTC in federal court and in investigations by the FTC and DOJ against Innovative Marketing, Inc. on alleged online “scareware” marketing tactics.
- Representing a major oil company in environmental insurance coverage litigation in state court involving rights to coverage under historic insurance policies.
- Representing a major global clothing retailer in a confidential investigation by the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection involving online privacy and behaviorally-targeted advertising practices; the investigation resulted in no action by the FTC.
- Representing a major online services provider in a confidential investigation by the Office of the New York State Attorney General regarding advertising and sales practices; the investigation resulted in no action by the NY AG’s office.
- Representing a major social gaming network in a confidential investigation by FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection involving the alleged hacking and breach of data protected by the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
- Counseling an independent law firm on compliance issues relating to the Telemarketing and Consumer Fraud and Abuse Prevention Act and the FTC’s Telemarketing Sales Rule (TSR).
- Representing witnesses in investigations by the FTC, DOJ, and congressional committees, including assisting in the production of documents and preparation for interviews with representatives of the FTC, DOJ, United States Attorney’s Office or congressional committees.