In little under a year after its enactment, a Federal Court jury in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania issued the first verdict under the Defend Trade Secrets Act in favor of the Plaintiff Dalmatia Import Group, Inc. The jury awarded Dalmatia $2.5 Million in total damages for all claims, with $500,000 attributed to its DTSA and Pennsylvania Uniform Trade Secrets Act claim. Just this week, Dalmatia filed a motion for judgement on the verdict, seeking treble damages for its related trademark and counterfeiting claims. If the court awards treble damages, total damages could exceed $5 Million.
Johanna has represented a broad range of technology companies in Federal and State Court, with a primary focus on bio-technology, high-tech laboratory equipment, and the healthcare industry. In addition, Johanna is a member of the firm's life sciences working group.
Johanna is also a registered patent attorney.
Prior to law school, Johanna conducted neuro-physiological research in the Vision Center Laboratory at the Salk Institute. During her time at Boston University, Johanna researched cellular signaling in prostate cancer at the Cancer Research Center in Boston University’s School of Medicine. Johanna also externed at Macropore Biosurgery in San Diego and in the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering laboratory at Boston University.Some of Johanna's representative engagements include the following:
- AllCells v. Cepheus Bio. Johanna represented AllCells in trade secret litigation related to the commercial purification and sale of primary cells. Johanna successfully obtained a preliminary injunction for AllCells under the DTSA.
- Bio-Rad v. 10X Genomics. Johanna represented 10X and its founders in trade secret litigation, brought by Bio-Rad, related to single cell and genome sequencing.
- Oracle/State of Oregon. Johanna is a member of a team that represented Oracle in high stakes litigation arising from Oregon's failure to launch its health insurance exchange under the Affordable Care Act.
- Fluidigm Corp. v. NanoString Tech. Inc. Represented NanoString Technologies in a case involving allegations of false advertising and unfair competition.
- Blue Spike LLC v. Audible Magic Corp. Johanna is a member of a team that successfully defended Audible Magic Corporation in a patent infringement action brought by Blue Spike LLC. Audible Magic obtained summary judgment of noninfringement for all asserted patents.
- DISH Networks. Johanna is a member of a team that represented DISH Networks and its related entities in various patent infringement litigations.
Posts by: Johanna Jacob
Over the last few weeks, TSW has reported extensively on the first few cases brought under the new Defend Trade Secrets Act. But, given our recent celebration of our nation’s birthday and the day Will Smith saved the planet from alien attack, TSW takes a brief look back at the foundation and birth of trade secret law in the United States. READ MORE
On August 28, 2015, TSW continued its coverage of the 2015 Defend Trade Secrets Act (“2015 DTSA”), introduced in both the House and Senate on July 28, 2015, with its comparison of the 2015 DTSA to last year’s failed 2014 House Bill. In today’s post, TSW continues with its extensive coverage of the 2015 DTSA, detailing both the criticisms it is facing and the progress it has made in Congress. READ MORE